London Railway Viaduct. St. Marys Museum collection.
The population of St. Marys grew with the arrival of the Grand Trunk Railway in 1857. By 1859, two large railway viaducts had been built over Trout Creek and the Thames River. The railway linked St. Marys to Toronto, London and Sarnia and helped bring many new industries to the area. The village became a centre for milling, grain-trading and the production of farm equipment. Local farmers were also able to ship grain and produce by rail to cities such as Toronto and Montreal.